One of my intentions for this website is to share links to information I find useful, or fun, or interesting, or . . .
- Catalina Island:
- 26 Miles Across The Sea
- The song www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJM61CTenss
- Sibling Reunion – stay tuned for other stories relating to past and future Sib Reunions
- Queen Mary:
- Catalina Express
- Spend the extra few dollars and upgrade to the Commodore Lounge. You get a voucher for a beverage; I like Bailey’s and coffee or Mimosa. You sit on the top deck so you get a great view of the Queen Mary, then Catalina Island. If it is foggy, you can stay inside. If it is sunny, you can go outside. I like options.
- Buffalo Nickel Restaurant:
- The food is fresh and tasty. I recommend the Mahi Mahi tacos – big moist chucks of fish. For dessert try, a drink called Buffalo Milk, the signature drink on the island. Each establishment has a slightly different recipe. I think the one at Buffalo Nickel is the best (ask for more chocolate syrup if you want) – beware Buffalo Milk is easy to drink and potent.
- Buffalo Milk
¾ oz. light crème de cacao
¾ oz. dark crème de cacao
¾ oz. banana liqueur
1 ½ oz. half and half
½ of a fresh banana
- Zip Line:
- Yes, this is FUN. The first step on the first line is scary. The first step on the second line is less scary. Then it is just FUN. On line 2, my sister stopped short of the landing. As promised, a rope was tossed at her, but she forgot to catch it. Then came a series of maneuvers until one of them worked and she was pulled onto the landing. Was she scared being stuck on a wire, hanging over a ravine? “Nope, it was pretty cool”
- If you want speed greater than 1Mbps without interruptions, then head for somewhere above the fifth floor, otherwise, forget it. Anyway, you’re in a Beach Town, try unplugging.
- Taxi from LAX
- Before your trip to LAX, call and arrange for a taxi to be at the airport. I call the Long Beach Yellow Cab Co-Op and ask for the driver named Menour.
- Try to travel the freeways between 10:00am and 2:00pm; otherwise, it will take twice as long to get anywhere.